Friday, June 13, 2014

eclectic Paperie Fabric Challenge and Once Upon a Sketch Challenge

Edit to post this layout was featured on the Once Upon a Sketch Facebook page!  Thanks!
 
Hi my blog friends!  I am posting today at the eclectic Paperie blog and linking it to our ePlay Fabric Challenge and I'm also playing at
At Once Upon a Sketch, you were also to be inspired by the quote "the best things in life aren't things."
 
Here is my layout: 
I used my son's beloved jeans again which he's wearing in the photo.  OOPS!

I made a border with the hem and added a piece of the seam behind it for a color contrast.  I added gears and banners from Prima and TH plus a lattice die from TH.  I splattered black paint all over everything to make it more manly.

I used a TH frame for his name, gessoed it up and sanded it off for more grunge.  I printed the quote from Once Upon a Sketch on cardstock and inked it up and ripped it.  The flower and leaf are Prima.

I hid journaling behind the top photo that only he will be able to see.  There is a Prima compass on it to remind him to take the right direction in life.  I also like the TH film transparency at the top, held in place by a gold paperclip.  I splattered some paint on the photo as well and edged it with gesso.

I added to their prompt - "the best things in life aren't things.  They are your hopes and dreams becoming reality."  More gears and a clock hand like an arrow pointing to the journaling.

I hid a photo behind the photo!

Here you can see more of his face after I took the journaled tag out.
 
Process photo:
Just wanted you to see the harlequin stencil with white embossing paste, the splattered paint, and how I started adding fabric and details to the layout.
 
I hope you like it!  I can't wait to give it to him!
 


27 comments:

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Brilliant idea to use jeans fabric on layout, Sue!!
Love the fresh lime color layout with thoughtful embellishments.

Lizzy Hill said...

I agree - what a hoot using the jeans he's wearing...such FUN...thanks for sharing where your journaling is hidden - this is a fab boy page...the thoughtful embellies add so much to it! Thanks for sharing with us at OUAS...And if you haven’t already done so, you can link this to our Once Upon A…Sketch Facebook Page for a chance at our special FB prize!

Lynn said...

Wow. I love how you'd make the collage feel on this layout. Gorgeous layouts of your oh so handsome son!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Soooooo fabulous! LOVING the colors and love love love that you added the jeans!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Sue, I just saw this on the eP blog and it is fabulous!!! What a handsome son you have and he's so lucky to have a wonderful mom like you. Hope his birthday is terrific! x

Marybeth said...

Sue,your son is such a mix of you both ...I see you both in his face. What an adorable boy! ( young man)
Love what you are doing with the Jeans! Love this layout!

Ros Crawford said...

Fabulous page!! I just love everything you did and the colours! He is one handsome boy!

Loretta said...

This is absolutely fantastic! What a great composition and just a beautiful piece of art!

MackieMade Paper Creations said...

Wow!!! What a great layout! Your handsome son is gonna be so proud of this!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Love this!!!!

Marjan said...

This is such a great, masculine lay-out! Love the details you used and ofcourse the piece of jeans too. Great idea, the hidden photo!

Maria said...

Wonderful layout with awesome texture and embellishments! Your son will love this!

Stella said...

You have a handsome son!
I love this masculine LO and the idea to use some of his beloved jeans is brilliant!! Beautiful color combo; wow! Love that hidden photo:)
XX

Val-Belle said...

What a great layout. I love the diamonds on the background page and adding the hem of the jeans is a stunning idea. Love your take on the sketch too. I am sure he will be thrilled. Thanks for playing along with us at OUAS this month.

Mona Pendleton said...

Fantastic layout Sue! Such a great photo! Love the strip of denim and splattered background! The metal embellishments add a great touch as well as the beautiful blossom!

Nancy said...

Hi Sue....Love the collage feel on this layout and the great color palette! Gorgeous photos of your handsome son! He is going to love it! Nice work as always girl!

Dianne said...

Hello Miss Sue, well his going to LOVE this, the mixed media is FANTASTICCCCC, love all the elements it's perfect, love the photo's of your handsome son, love the note hidden inside, its a work of love as always, thanks for sharing this gorgeous layout...

gracescraps@gmail.com said...

Sue, I love all your personal touches and the meaning behind your elements!! Congratulations on your gorgeous layout being featured on the Once Upon A…Sketch Facebook Page ~ Blessings, Tracey

Garden of Grace

Maja Stokk / eyovine said...

Great boy page =) Love the use of jeans. Thanks for playing along with us at OUAS.

~Tammy~ said...

You created such a unique and special layout! What a treasure for Kevin. Even more special is to have his favorite jeans as part of the layout and him wearing them. I love the photo behind the photo and a journaling card for only him to see. Special! You are such a wonderful Mom, but you already knew that! :-)

Shirley said...

Your creation is beautiful and your son is good looking. I say lock him up until about 32!~!! ;-)

Shirley said...

Your creation is beautiful and your son is good looking. I say lock him up until about 32!~!! ;-)

Shirley said...

Your creation is beautiful and your son is good looking. I say lock him up until about 32!~!! ;-)

Shirley said...

Your creation is beautiful and your son is good looking. I say lock him up until about 32!~!! ;-)

Andiepants said...

Girl if you don't stop making projects with this boys' pants...he'll have nothing left to wear!!!

Love the colors on this page. Great LO.

Елена Смоктунова said...

beautiful!Thanks so much for playing along with us at OUAS this month.

Lisa Elton said...

Oooooohhhhhh I LOVE this Sue!! The colors, the denim and the splatters all work perfectly with each and every very special detail you added. Hope he doesn't grieve too much over the loss of his jeans LOL! BTW...he's just too cute for his own good!!!