Wednesday, April 3, 2013

CCCB Circle Dies, Pearls, and Mist - Mixed Media

At City Crafter Challenge Blog #153, the challenge is Anything Goes ~ Sort of!  You have to use at least one design element - pearls, mist, die cut circles, and/or embossing.  I used the first three to make my spring mixed media journal page.  The misting and circles are evident but the pearl is not.  I used a black pearl to anchor the clock hands!!

This is for all of my blogging friends who still have snow or cold and are longing for spring!


This is a close-up of the die cut clock that started my thought process!


This is the quote that got stuck in my mind!


These are my PTI die cut daffodils cut out of chipboard and patterned paper!


This is a rub on of letters I have had in my stash FOREVER!

Do you see all of the layers and details I added right down to the word daffodils by the flowers?!!!
I had a BLAST making this ~ my very first page in my very first art journal!

Here are some quick photos of my process:

I laid out the main die cuts on the blank journal page.  I put the craft sheet in between the layers so I could make a mess and use my heat gun.

Here i have crumpled up tissue paper and layed it across the journal page.  Next step - mod podge under and over the tissue to create texture.

Here is the after photo.  I left the edges so I could paint freely all the way to the edge.  My plan was to cut it off at the end which I did.

Sorry for the sideways pic.  I dripped these two inks on the page and just brushed them randomly with a piece of cardboard.

I added teal paint and a heavy bodied green paint to the page.  Again with the sideways pic, I added texture to the "grass" with this MS texture tool.  LOVE the effect!
I also applied gesso over the teal to tone it down a bit before misting and adding white paint with a circle stamp.

I misted using a spray bottle with 1/3 acryllic paint and 1/2 water to make my own mist.  I then rolled paper towel across the page to soak up the real wet spots!

Here are the pitt pens I used to add color to the daffodils, leaves, and clock.
The rest is just adding and adding layers until I was happy.  
In case you have forgotten the final result ~ here it is again!


I hope you like it and aren't asleep after all of these photos!!!
Posted by Picasa

19 comments:

Lisa Elton said...

I'm one of those longing for warmer days! I think we finally have it tomorrow, not a moment too soon! What a GREAT art journal page Sue and thanks for showing your technique. Love the polka dot leaves on your daffodils!!

Pauline said...

Oh so gorgeous Sue, I love the texture and the lovely daffodils a sure sign of spring. Great tutorial too, its always interesting to see how others craft!

Anonymous said...

Awesome Sue!! LOVE the texture and colors , so pretty!!!Thank yu so much for sharing this week at CCCB :-)

Lynn said...

Wow! I love how you walked us through this Sue...it is gorgeous!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is gorgeous!! I loveeeee the daffodils!!!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful page. I enjoyed seeing the process. Thanks for sharing it with us and thanks for joining us once again over at CCCB!

Hugs~

Jill Norwood said...

Sue I LOVE this post! Thanks for showing your process! I love the details you added to the grass and flowers! The "daffodil" words are so fun! What are Pitt pens? Are they paint or just a type of marker? Your first art journal page is GORGEOUS!!!

Ros Crawford said...

Fabulous ... I am one of those people waiting for Spring ... Love how you showed the process too ... Thanks so much for playing along at CCCB!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

What a fun page, thanks for sharing your wonderful work with us at CCCB!

Marybeth said...

Wow , what a process! Thanks for sharing that with us. Love the rubbed on words it really does add a lot with the tiny details. This is gorgeous Sue! Hope your having fun!

Stella said...

You are multi talented and I am drooling over your take on mixed media. This is gorgeous. Yes it's still cold here but this is heartwarming! I hope you win; this is stunning!
XX

Monika/Buzsy said...

Oh, wow! Beautiful page Sue Lelli. Love the great textures. Thanks for the step-by-step photos. It's so much easier to understand what you do. The colors are so pretty... lvoe the doily, the clock... creative elements my friend!

MackieMade Paper Creations said...

Very pretty page! Thanks for showing the steps! I gotta get one of thoses MS tools!

scrappingnana said...

This is a great project. You did a wonderful job. Thanks for the photos showing the steps.

Dianne said...

Your funny Sue, I loooove lots of photos, showing the process, its very kool and inspiring.I love all the painting. spritzing,texturing, gessoing, more of your own misting.. Your first page is FABULOUS, I'll be looking forward to see other pages, wonderful work.. Thanks for sharing and have a great day..

Maria said...

Amazing...LOVE IT!!! Spring forward is right! It's finally getting a little warmer here in NW Ohio! Thanks so much for the tutorial! You're a mixed media queen...looks so FUN! Take care, hugs!

Katie Berberich Handmade said...

This is deffinitely for me then ;) Although I have heard we are supposed to get up to a whopping (not) 1 degrees next week! I'll believe that when i see it.
Gorgeous project, you are so awesome at this technique.
Katie x

Shannon White said...

Wow!! soo Gorgeous Sue!! I LOVE this!! So many Fabulous details to drool over, lol ;-) Loe the Fab texture and all the pretty colors and patterns.. The clock face and the daffodils look Amazing Lady!! And thanks so much for the the peek into your creative process too! Wowie! Just Awesome my friend! 8-)

Hugs
Shannon

Juls said...

Your journal page is fabulous!! Was great to see the creative process too!! Hugs Juls xxx