Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Play Date Cafe Challenge #39 - Happy Birthday Cathie!

Another GREAT color challenge by the Play Date Cafe and I finished this card with only 8 hours to go! This is for a friend of mine I have met through card making. While these colors aren't exactly feminine, I think they are truly ELEGANT together! Hope she likes it!
This is a close up of my flower made with my new Tim Holtz Sizzix Tattered Flower Die. I used my fingernails to curl and crinkle the petals. I'm making Cathie meet me in person tomorrow because I don't want the post office to ruin this flower!!!

This is the entire card. As usual, my camera just can't capture the way cool embossing on the white background. I used the PTI Damask impression plate and it is subtle yet stunning in person. The punch is Martha Stewart, the brad is Spare Parts, the ribbon is from my ribbon "collection," the die is a PTI label die with a co-ordinating stamp, the book page is from a class I took at CKC Houston. I had a brilliant idea! Instead of ripping pages out of a book, especially now that I have seen that movie The Book of Eli, I am just going to keep this one dictonary page and make copies of it on my computer! It's those simple things that make me happy! Now I'm off to look at all of the FABULOUS cards posted for this challenge and leave lots of comments!
Posted by Picasa

19 comments:

Anne said...

What a lovely card, I agree it looks elegant!!
Really like that punch!!

farmhouse-story said...

this is elegant and the flower is beautiful! your friend will love it!

Anne Jagger said...

Gorgeous Card.

Diane Jaquay said...

I LOVE this Sue! You really rocked these, what I think are difficult to use, colors!!! I love that flower too, I'll have to look into that die ;)

Clare said...

great card, really striking! love the print!

Terry said...

So loving your flower and I am sure your friend appreciate all your work! Wonderful piece of art! Thank you for stopping by!

Jan Hennings said...

love this..the design is awesome!

Michele Gross said...

Gorgeous! What a great idea about copying instead of tearing!! I love the print look but just can't bring myself to destroy a book-you're a genius!! :D By the way, everytime I see your beach chair failure pic I crack up-thanks for the giggle at your expense ;)

Beverly Montez said...

Great card~!
Love the color combination.
Missed you today at Stamp Club!

Marge said...

OMG, Sue, this is STUNNINGLY gorgeous -- I HOPE she doesn't like it, you can send it to ME!!! I truly LOVE this color combo & I do think it's quite feminine!!! I love to work with black, white or cream & Kraft or brown! If you blow up your first photo & enlarge you can see the embossing better -- SIGH -- another die I NEED!

Andrea M said...

Sue - brilliant work, as always! Love the layered flower and your layering of the border punch - so pretty! Way to rock the color combo :)

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

What a beautiful card! Great border punches!! And the layering is FAB! Great card all around:) Thanks for playing along and joining in the fun at the PDCC:)

Lisa Somerville said...

Pretty, wonderful flower medallion. Thanks for playing at the PDCC.

Sarah Feeney said...

Great card Sue! Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog! :)

Ruby said...

Another lovely card Sue!! Love how you've done the flower and the layering! Thanks for playing along with us at the Play Date Cafe this week!

SmilynStef said...

Love that texty bloom.

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Love the text in the flower.

Suzanne C said...

Beautiful card! Lovely fower and great tip on the text and photocopying. There are some pages that I tear out that I would love to keep so I have to remember to photocopy! Gorgeous flower! So glad you are playing along with us at the PDCC!

Nancy in Iowa said...

This is a class act! I loved this color combo over at PDCC. I entered too but it didn't hold a candle to this beauty! Thanks for all the inspriation.