Friday, August 29, 2014

An Anniversary Card ~ and a trip to Alaska!

As you are reading this, my dh, son , and I are starting our Alaskan cruise!
Attention robbers!  Someone is staying in our home watching our kitties so don't get any ideas!
This is his college graduation present and our last big family trip before our son starts working!
I will have no internet access so I will come visit when we get back in two weeks.
 
Today I am posting on the eclectic Paperie blog.  I made an anniversary card for my DH early because I just received some new products from eclectic Paperie in the mail and I was itching to try them out! I'll just save it until our anniversary in November! LOL!
Here's My card:
What I WANTED to do was have a starfish in the center cut out with text underneath. It would have been easier if the Tim Holtz alterations sand and sea die cuts had been separate but the weren't. So I improvised! I ended up stacking fat chipboard over the images I didn't want to cut out and running it through my die cut machine. They cut out anyway but there was so much texture and color and product on my Tim Holtz distress watercolor cardstock top page that when I pieced it back together like a puzzle, you really couldn't see it! And I got the look I wanted!
I also wanted the seahorse floating in the water surrounded by bubbles (Tim Holtz texture fades - bubbles and waves) with it's tail wrapped around a plant. That's how they REALLY look when you dive, hiding in plants and blending in to the surroundings. For the plant I die cut a branch from the Tim Holtz spring greenery decorative strip. I put wet glue on it and sprinkled Tim Holtz Distress Glitter on top. LOVE the glimmer it adds!
 
I LOVE this seahorse and I puposely had the word MEMORY show through. (I wanted to remind my DH of all of the FAB memories we have together.) The text is Tim Holtz melange tissue wrap stained with tea dye Distress ink.
Here you can see the Wendy Vecchi translucent embossing paste. I LOVE that it dries clear and looks wet on your project!
 
Here you can see the Prima seaweed flower and the Prima resin shells I added. The idea-ology word band sentiment was perfect since this IS an anniversary card and we are living the life we have imagined! Literally! I tied it on with idea-ology jute.
The kraft paper behind the watercolor and text layers is my new FAB Tim Holtz idea-ology resist paper. It is so cool with a design embossed on it so when you add ink, the embossing shows through. This one I used has mini distressed dots ~ going with the bubble theme!
 
And on the inside, I put a photograph of last year when we renewed our vows for our 25th anniversary. It was a dream! Look at the color of that water and how it is mimicked by the distress paint colors on the outside of my card.
 
If you want to see the process photos, check out my post on the eP blog!
 
UPDATE!
Do you remember the memory book I made for my friend Lisa who is moving to St. Louis?  You can see it here.  I wanted to share a couple of photos about how I finished it:
 
I added some CUTE charms to the binding strings to remind her of Florida - a palm tree, a flip flop, and umbrella drink, and an angel wing (to protect her).
 
And I think I was a genius when I figured out all by myself how to close the book.  It got rather fat with all of the photos and messages inside so:
 
I punched two holes and added eyelets on the outside so there is a pretty hot pink bow of seam binding.
 
 
But the genius part is, I tied it in such a way that when you untie the bow, the seam binding is attached so all you have to do is pull it and drape it over the back of the book so you can open it up!
 
This way, the seam binding is always attached.  I hope this make sense?!!!
 
I won't have anything posting until September 5th for a 3 day FAB blog hop with prizes!  Until then...fore he starts working.

15 comments:

Marjan said...

I enlarged your card to tak a better look, wow.. love it!! Interesting read, the making of.
Wish you loads of fun on your trip!
The finished book for your friend does look lovely, she must cherish it, I'm sure.

Lisa Elton said...

A BEAUTIFUL anniversary card and so reminiscent of your anniversary trip last year!! Love the way your seashore looks. Those little flip flop charms hanging off the pretty book you made for your friend are SO CUTE! Great idea with the seam binding closure too. I know the three of you will have a GREAT time, hope you bring home loads of pictures!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

So gorgeous!! LOVING the seahorse!! And loving that book for your friend!! And have fun on your trip!!!!!

Ros Crawford said...

Well I hope you are having fun 'cos I sure have looking at your lovely card and the finished album ... Fabulous work!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

That is awesome, have fun with your family!
Wonderful work!

Nancy said...

Wow...you are such an amazing crafter! The details and thought you put behind your creations is amazing and so touching...hope you have an amazing time on your trip! We will catch up when you return! HUGS!

Marybeth said...

You are too funny......attention robbers...sounds like something I would want to say as well! You are so blessed to travel as much as you do.....I know you know that. I hope you have a wonderful trip Alaska is on my list,I am sure it's gorgeous!
Your card is gorgeous with that glitter seaweed . Love the way you tied and added the strip over the binding.

Maria said...

Wishing for you and family a wonderful trip to Alaska! We were there in 2001...so pretty! Love your anniversary card with seahorse and rich color! And, album for your friend is so pretty with darling charms!

MackieMade Paper Creations said...

Love your fabulous seahorse! An amazing job with the background!
Your friend is gonna love her journal book! It is beautiful! Love the charms!
Hope you have a great Alaskan cruise!!!!

Pauline said...

Beautiful card Sue, you captured that seaside feel with that beautiful blue and your fab embellies! Have a wonderful trip!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your anniversary card and the picture is so awesome of the two of you!! And that book, can you hear my jaw dropping to the ground :-) A stunner!!! Have a fabulous trip! I loved my Alaska cruise and say hi to the whales!

Mona Pendleton said...

Hope you have a fun and safe trip Sue with your family! Your projects are fabulous! Love the seahorse and beach theme card! So you and your husband! Beautiful photo! Such a fantastic book too! Surely your friend will treasure this!

Dianne said...

Hello Miss Sue, okay you are a GENIUS with that brilliant anniversary card to that out of this world memory book,outstanding work, I have missed visiting you, I finally got my internet working and can visit again, thanks for sharing...

Monika/Buzsy said...

You lucky duck! An Alaskan cruise... oh, how I wish I could go on one... This is such a perfect card. Love the underwater scene, the colors, the textures. Great trick with the die-cut!

Unknown said...

Congrats to your son! I know you guys are having a blast and your card and album are both fabulous Sue. xx