Saturday, June 28, 2014

You're Invited - Distress Watercoloring

Challenge #5 at CC3C is Distress Watercoloring which can be found on pages 39 and 40 of Tim Holtz's book, A Compendium of Curiosities, Vol. # 3. You need to have the book to play! 
I have to admit I have owned these Distress Markers for a long time but never really knew how to use them.  That's why participating in these challenges is so much FUN!  You learn something new every challenge!
Here's my invitation/card:
 I distress watercolored the TH Nautical blueprint spiral shell on water color paper. I cut it out and popped it over the blueprint shell BG that I sprayed with the TH Distress Marker Spritzer.  The edges were distressed and inked with TH Distress Ink in Tea Dye.  LOVE how the BG turned out!
 
Here is a close up of the spiral shell so you can see the FAB colors achieved with this watercoloring technique.

Here is a side view so you can see how I popped the shell up.  In addition, the piece of cheese cloth adds a beachy feel to this.
I also used TH jute string and an idea-ology button.
I hope you like this invitation/card. 
I need to make 20 of these to mail so I will duplicate this design but not attach the button so it will be flat for mailing.
 
Head on over to play with the Compendium of Curiosities 3 Challenge #5!


23 comments:

Tenia Nelson said...

LOVE!!! :)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Gorgeous! I loveeeeeee the shell!!!

Mona Pendleton said...

So pretty Sue! Love the beautifully colored sea shell! So you! Thanks for the inspiration!

Ros Crawford said...

Gorgeous work my friend ... Love the nautical theme ... Have a happy holiday!! When are you back?

Pauline said...

Just beautiful Sue, a love soft nautical theme! I have these markers too, and are taking me a while to get used to them.

Jill Norwood said...

Sue this is sooooo beautiful! I just invested in distress markers and the spritz tool! I cannot wait to play with them! Love the shell stamp you used! Gorgeous coloring! :)

~Tammy~ said...

Gorgeous Sue! I love anything Ocean inspired. This turned out aMazing! Awesome job!

Lynn said...

Beautiful Sue. So soft and serene.

Lisa Elton said...

Your seashell is perfectly colored Sue!! This is a gorgeous invitation!!

MackieMade Paper Creations said...

Fantastic job with the markers and the way you colored the pretty seashells!

Dianne said...

Hello Miss Sweet Sue, this invitation is gorgeous making 20, you go woman, the colors and coloring is gorgeous, love the gauze behind, they are perfect, thanks for sharing..

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Beach theme is always the best, lovely work Sue!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Great invite! Love those watercolored shells and the splotchy background! Thanks so much for joining us on this painty challenge here at CC3Challenge!!

Nancy said...

You are always teaching me something! Love this card and sounds like you will be making plenty of them very soon! Well done as always! HUGS!

Maria said...

You achieved a wonderful background! And, the shells are very pretty in soft color! Have fun making more of these lovelies!:-)

Juls said...

Fabulous!! Hugs Juls

Loretta said...

I love how u did this. I see I have a lot to learn when I come visit��

Marjan said...

SO beautiful! I really Love this one, colors, layers, watercoloring.. great job!

Unknown said...

Wow this is so pretty Sue! I absolutely love this card. xx

Julia Aston said...

what a lovely invitation for the summer Sue! good luck with making 20 of them !! LOL!!! I hate making more than one of anything - always moving on to the next design !! Your coloring is wonderful on the layered shell!

Shirley said...

Wow! Sue, this really can be framed! I love that BG directly behind the image and how you added the loose white burlap behind it too! Gorgeous image too!

Yvonne said...

What a fabulous invite! I LOVE the nautical theme and the colors you chose are perfect! Fabulous!!!
Thank for playing along with us at CC3C!

Monika/Buzsy said...

Love the coloring! The distressed look is awesome. Great image too.