You still have time to play in eclectic Paperie's Get Altered Challenge of Altering Playing Cards! The challenge ends February 19th! Here's your chance to explore your creative journey, step outside your comfort
zone, and experiment with new products and techniques. It's all about having FUN
while creating altered and mixed media art with a chance of winning a
$15 gift certificate to the eclectic Paperie shop
I call my Mixed Media Valentine's canvas panel ~
You Are My King of Hearts!
I used only red, pink, white, and black in my BG so the playing card would stand out. For my words I used Idea-ology Chit Chat stickers.
Here it is in its entirety. It's 8" x 10" and I'm not sure if I am going to frame it or make it a wall hanging. What I am sure about is that it's going to be my Valentine for my DH.
Some close-up views:
In the upper left corner and side of my canvas, I applied Wendy Vecchi Studio 490 embossing paste through my Love Birds stencil. LOVE!
In the upper right hand corner and side, you can see a close up of the Wendy Vecchi Studio 490 white embossing paste appplied through my Wendy Vecchi Studio 490 Never Enough Hearts Stencil. To make these hearts really POP, I outlined each of them with a Pitt Pen and streaked the ink across the hearts when I applied the Liquitex Glazing Medium with a paint brush. LOVE this subtle detail! I also went to town making dots and scallops with dots using my Art Anthology Dimensional Crystals in Peony. LOVE this product and must buy more colors!
Here are some process photos:
I attached all of the heart cards with the exception of the King for my background mod podge (yes, I use Mod Podge!)
After covering the cards with gesso, I applied red and white Tim Holtz distress paints allowing them to run and mix on my background when I spritzed them with water using my Inksessentials Mini Mister. I ripped three stips of chevron from my Fancy Pants Be Loved paper pad and adhered it to the canvas Can you see it?.
Besides the love bird stencil, I randomly stamped circles with Dina Wakley's Grungy Circles Stamp and black Ranger Archival Ink.
A close up of the embossing paste through the heart stencil.
A close up after the Pitt Pen outline of the hearts and the dimensional crystals around the circles.
My last photo before I added the dots to my hearts and edges which I also smudged with a black gelato.
I hope you like my project! I was intimidated by having to use playing cards but in the end, I just LOVE how it turned out!
Come play along with us!















23 comments:
I love that you show your process because then I go back and study to find every little detail I missed before!! The icing on the cake is the darling frame on the king of hearts!! Hubby will love this one Sue ;)
Thank you so much for sharing photos of the process, I told you before: I can learn a lot from you. Red is not my go-to-color but we are getting along a bit better:). And your LO based upon the challenge is just gorgeous. Well done!
XX
Very, very cool....and I love the king of hearts...think I might be singing all day!
Wow wow wowwwwwwwwww! This is amazing!! I love love love love the colors, the birds and the frame around the King!!!!!!
So nice to be able to follow the steps you made in making the background, ik looks wonderful! Love those birds too. Perfect for Valentine, your husband will be thrilled!
What a great challenge, love the idea of using up my stash of old playing cards. Your project is fabulous Sue and I love how you always include photos for us (thank you). Hope I have time to play along with this one. ;) Have a great week and a Happy Valentine's Day! Hugs
Awesome ... Bet you got messy Lol! Love the little birdies
Brilliant canvas Sue, perfect for the king of your heart!
GREAT idea to use cards as the base!!!!!! Love that and then I absolutely love how you utilized the king - incorporating him instead of covering him up. Fabulous!!!!
Love your canvas! Full of really good ideas. I noticed your photos taken with all those crafty ladies , well judging by this canvas the classes you've taken have really paid off! Great work xx
I think it's amazing how you created your background out of the cards! So fantastic, Sue! Love it and I'm sure your hubby will too!!
This is Amazing!!!!!
Hello from Singapore!
I know your King of Hearts is gonna love this! Love how you showed the process. Who knew playing cards could look so fabulous!
Oh wow Sue! What a fabulous project for your King of Hearts! What a great way to feature a playing card! Love the beautiful mixed media background that you created!
Hello Miss Sue, this is so creative and brilliant,using the cards is fantastic, I have a box full :),love the black paste with the birds, the hearts you created are fabulous, love the stamps down the side, then the king in the frame, what a fantastic creation for your loving husband, thanks for sharing your process it was brilliant, hope you have a wonderful day, ((( BIG HUGS))) my friend..Soooooo inspirational...
An amazing project my friend. I LOVE the way you used those cards. A perfect Valentine project.
Hugs~
Wow, what a fabulous piece! I love how you used the frame and the playing cards, so inspiring! the background is beautiful with all of the details too. ~Diane
How CUTE! I like the way you literally framed that King!
This is so awesome! Would have never thought to come up with something so creative! WOW...I agree ...love the way you framed in the King!
Awesome! I love how you did the background with the playing cards! The black images look amazing on the red. Well done sweet friend! Happy Valentine's Day!
Okay, Sue, this really isn't my thing, so in the beginning I was thinking eeuuuu, and then when I read through your process I thought...Wow! What fun and what a great tribute to your husband and a really creative piece of art!
Gorrrgeous Sue and such a great way to pay tribute to your hubby!
Loved watching the process and bet he loooved it.
Big hugs
Tracy
xoxox
I love that you put them all on one piece. What a unique idea! Love the inking and color!
Post a Comment