Wednesday, August 21, 2019

New FAV - Learning how to paint Watercolor Flowers!

Let me tell you about my watercoloring journey.  Prima came out with pans of different watercolors and I HAD to buy them all but never really used them.  Then I was inspired by Marj@n's blog where she linked to a video she watched and then re-created herself.  Ceecee's creations https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=13&v=N5vKBoNzhmc

This one video led to many hours of watching one video after another and the following is what I ended up doing:
I just started playing and painting and doodling and experimenting.

Then I watched two videos on layering colors:
and 
and this is my first attempt:

Here's a step by step of my process:
Then I decided I wanted to mask the flower and stamp text in the background.  I had the brilliant idea to photocopy the flowers I had painted and cut them out.

Here is the copy paper to show you what I did. (Sorry the printer was making dark lines but who cares when all you are going to do is cut it out!)

This is what it looks like on the watercolor paper panel with the mask over the image.

This is what it looks like after I stamped the text.

This is what it looks like with the mask removed.

I trimmed the panel down so I could add a sentiment.  The sentiment is stamped with black archival ink and heat embossed with clear powder.  It leaves a shiny effect.
I distressed the edges, inked it with Copic YR24 (to match the kraft card), added three sequins, and popped it.
In real life it looks like a tiny piece of art!

I need to buy a smaller micron pen for doodling and adding my name and date.
That's all for now!  I'm HaPpY with how it turned out and I am itching to make more!
Thanks for stopping by!

7 comments:

Lisa Elton said...

Oh wow, beautifully done Sue!! I need to check out the videos. I have a lack of mojo going on ~ sheesh!

Marjan said...

Love your watercolourpanels, Sue! So nice you got to watch the video, I love her work and she inspires a lot of people with her different styles. The card you made is gorgeous, clever idea to copy the flower and use as a mask!
If you are looking for a nice pen with small tip I can recommend the Copic Multiliner, I bought the 0.1.

Ros Crawford said...

I just love trying new things and I love what you did here... So pretty!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

You are amazing!!!! SO GORGEOUS!!!! LOVING the colors you used!!!!!!

JoAnn said...

Great job with the watercoloring. Love your finished card. TFS

MackieMade Paper Creations said...

You did a fabulous job! Your card is beautiful! Very clever idea on your masking technique! I need to check out those videos!

Maria said...

Oh, how lovely, Sue! Your card with the gorgeous flower is very pretty! Love the text background, too! Fab way to mask with help of printer! Thank you for the tutorial!