Saturday, August 16, 2014

The Mixed Media Card Challenge ~ Summer

Nothing says summer to me more than flowers and bright colors so that is what inspired my card:
I used Dina Wakely paints and my Gelli plate to make the BG.
The text is tissue tape from Tim Holtz that I tore into thin strips to add just a little somethin' somethin' to the BG.

The rose is a MPD stencil called Rose Builder (LOVE) and the sentiment stamp is from MPD Contemporary Roses.  I LOVE how the two words have a big enough gap between them to go on either side on the rose stem.  I mixed embossing paste with paints to achieve that vibrant rose color and topped it off with a shiny Silks acryllic.
If you look closely on the left you with see stenciled diamonds from MPD Graduated diamonds stencil and translucent Wendy Vecchi embossing paste.  I LOVE the subtle texture it adds.

Because it's on Tim Holtz Watercolorcolor Cardstock, it's heavy enough to feel like a piec of art so I popped it off of a white cardbase.  I think it makes the artwork really stand out.
I hope you like it!
 
Now for some FUN!  Following are some photos of a trip we just took our son and his girlfriend on to Exuma in the Bahamas for his graduation.

The highlight of the trip was a boat trip we took all day through cays in the Exumas.  My dh likes to find really cool excursions for us.
  David Copperfield, Johnny Depp, and some other really wealthy people actually own entire islands here.  Wish we were rich!!!
 
First stop - the cay with the SWIMMIMG PIGS!  That's right, they swim up to your boat looking for food!
One little piggy

 Two little piggies
My son in the water petting the big pig!
 
Kevin and his girlfriend Laura petting baby piggies on the beach!  They look croaked to me!

Then on to the Iguana Island.  Kevin brought his lunch leftovers so he would have plenty to feed them!

 A stingray that swam up to the beach for food - of course!


 Kevin and his girlfriend holding a starfish.
 
Other starfish they found snorkeling.
 
Okay enough boring photos ~ I have 300 more!  Needless to say it was a GREAT time, except when Kevin and Laura got stopped by TSA for bringing back hundreds of sand dollars they found (all dead of course) and a Beautiful conch shell from the boat trip that the captain took the conch out of and made us a conch salad right on a deserted sandbar.  Can't get much fresher than that!  TSA finally them them through with their treasures!
Have a Super weekend and thanks for stopping by!


29 comments:

My Paper Epiphany said...

Your card is so beautiful! I really am inspired to play with my Gelliolate now and I love the rose!
Your photos are fab - looks like you had a real nature adventure! The pigs are so funny - I didn't know they could swim!

Lisa Elton said...

Another beautifully vibrant and well executed card Sue!! I think MOna designed that rose just for you ;)

And I'll give you a "SQUEAL" for the piggies!!! That is a hoot. Looks like a wonderful trip, the water is gorgeous! Glad the "criminals" made it through with their treasures!

Marybeth said...

The colors on your card are gorgeous ...Sue! Nice work!
Looks like and amazing trip! Swimming pigs? How cute is that! I bet you do have 300 more amazing pictures ....thanks for sharing your beautiful photos!

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful card Sue! Love the gorgeous rose and your fabulous background! Looks like a fun trip! Thanks for sharing the awesome photos!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Now how pretty is this? Love your fun vacation photos too!

Ros Crawford said...

Oh I could look at more photos anytime ... what a fabulous trip ... Terrific shots and before I forget I Love your card!!

JoAnn said...

Beautiful card. Love the rose and the vibrant colors.
Great photos. Glad you all had a wonderful time.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Such a gorgeous card! LOVING the colors and the rose! And loving the vacay photos!! Looks like an amazing trip!!!!!!!

Lynn said...

A beautiful card,but more importantly gorgeous pictures of your family! The pigs are kind of cracking me up...I've never seen pigs swimming!

Loll said...

Hi Sue. Your card is gorgeous. Love those bright, summery colors used for the background. I'm new to Mixed Media, so am learning lots ... will have to try the stamped tissue paper. The translucent diamonds add a subtle design without covering up all the beautiful colors -- love that. And the rose is outstanding - love the vibrant pink.

Beautiful pictures of your holiday ... looks like you all had a fabulous time.

Thanks for playing along with us at Mixed Media Card Challenge.

Far North said...

Beautiful Mixed Media card! Yes, flowers & bright colors=Summer in my book too! Thanks for playing in the MMCC#2.

Julia Aston said...

What a wonderful background you created for your beautiful stenciled rose Sue! So bright and pretty! and what a GREAT vacation you took your son and his girl on - SO fun with the piggies!! Looks like you had wonderful weather and a great family time!

Maria said...

Gorgeous card with the beautiful rose and wonderful background! And, amazing trip, huh!!! Wow...looks like you all had a fabulous time...so awesome! And, those little pigs are too CUTE!

Micki said...

The card is gorgeous. I love the torn pieces of tissue tape, adds just the right amount of contrast. Great Mixed Media Card!!!!!! OMG, first..... is that water really that clear? And are those wild pigs or just pigs that get run loose. Loved the pictures!!!!!xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful card, I just can't stop looking at that incredible background! ps looks like your holiday was a blast too (we are sitting in the middle of winter here....)

Nancy said...

Boring photos! Are you kidding me! These photos are awesome! Seeing the pigs in water is a first for me! LOL I couln't believe it! Then the iguanas and the starfish! So so cool! Looks like a fabulous trip and the photos are so well done! Great job Sue...and what a nice gift for your son! Love your card too...but that's a given! How could I not! Would love to see more photos! You should start a photography blog!

Anonymous said...

Another colorful work of art, I love the background and the rose :-) And those pictures, the water, gorgeous! next time pack "me" with you lol

MackieMade Paper Creations said...

Your card is stunning! Love all the different textures!
Now who knew pigs like to swim??? That is hilarious!!! Love it!

Stella said...

I always enjoy seenig phots from you and your family. It must have been an amazing trip. And without any doubts precious memories to cherish. I LOVE your card. Your style and design are amazing. A stunner for sure!
XXX

Juls said...

Lush card, & gorgeous piccys :-) xx

~Tammy~ said...

You're right bright beautiful flowers and colors! Love your card. Hard to believe that summer is almost over (here)

Your trip looks like everyone really enjoyed themselves and how could they not!

Broni said...

What a beautiful summer card! Love the bold happy colors! And boy, what great vacation photos! Looks like SO much fun!!!

Dianne said...

Hello Miss Sue, this looks lie a gorgeous piece of art work, you call a card,that background is just yummy and the flower perfect, a sensation creation, thanks for sharing and the inspiration...

Dianne said...

Shesh for got to say how much I enjoyed the photos, I just made a starfish like that and it's an ocher starfish, swimming with pigs who'd a thunk it, love all the pictures, thanks for sharing them..

Deepti said...

Your card is such a beautiful work of art, I really love that beautiful textured rose :) Thank you for sharing with MMCC !

Katie Berberich Handmade said...

First, what a lovely card. The stencil is just lovely and I adore the vibrance of the pink paint.
But, oh my -your holiday pics kind of steel the show. So that's what heaven on earth looks like hu? Great photos, the colours are so inviting. As for the pigs...awwwwwww. Adorable.
What a lovely post, I love checking out all of your adventures. Your son is so like you Sue. x

sannalippert said...

gorgeous card! love the background! thanks for playing along with us at MMCC :)

Elina Stromberg said...

Love the bold colors, and the beautiful textures in the background. Beautiful!
Thanks for playing with us at MMCC. Hope to see you with us again in September!

Deepti said...

Beautiful colors and textures :) I have to try this Gelli plate too ! great vacations pics too. Thank you for sharing with MMCC!