Saturday, August 3, 2013

Saturday Creations ~ {Journey Stamp Set Canvas}

Hi there!  It's another Saturday Creation at the Precious Remembrance blog featuring this FAB stamp set ~ Journey!

I made the following mixed media canvas for my sweet friend Lisa for her birthday.  Lisa (far right), Pam (center) and I became friends by going to all of the movies that were up for Oscars before the big Academy Award show.  That's why this stamp set was just Perfect for this FUN gift:

I LOVE the film strips that represent the movies (Stamped on vellum and cut out).  I stamped enjoy the journey on green washi tape.

I stenciled the rose and added some additional flowers.

I used my FAV sentiment from the Journey stamp set ~ {a picture} makes every Moment last forever.  I thought this photo of the three of us was so Awesome and I want her to remember how much we treasure our friendship.  (I am REALLY glad we wore outfits that co-ordinated so well together - LOL!)  You can once again see a stenciled rose and the star splatter stamp.

In this last photo you can see the diamonds I stenciled on with fiber paste and the sentiment - smile.smile and the arrow stamp.

Now for some quick photos of my process:
I covered the canvas with tissue and used a gift card to swipe MS pearl paints across it in the three colors I wanted to use.  I chose to make it sheer so you could see the text.

I mod podged the film strips on the canvas.   I have never used mod podge on vellum before and it kinda buckled but I LOVED the texture it added!

I wanted to have a color behind the sentiment to make it POP but I didn't have paper the color I wanted to use so I adhered three strips of washi tape to cardstock and then glued the sentiment (which was stamped onto another piece of cardstock) on top and cut it all out.  

Here's my boo boo and I'm showing you what I did to make it all better!  I tried to stamp the sentiment directly onto the canvas but because of all of the texture, it didn't stamp well.  Oh NO!  Was it ruined???

So then I got the idea to stamp the sentiment onto ripped washi tape and adhere it with mod podge.  I actually like this look better!
Let me know what you think of this canvas.  I just gave it to Lisa and she was thrilled!
Thanks for stopping by!
Posted by Picasa

23 comments:

Mona Pendleton said...

Wow Sue! What a FAB project! Love the stenciled colorful roses and the filmstrip pieces! You really make those stamps looks FAB!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Fabulous. Love the texture, the colors, and the wonderful step-by-step tutorial.

Tenia Nelson said...

Awesomesauce!!

MackieMade Paper Creations said...

So beautiful! Love the stenciled roses on the photo! Really accents the photo! The sentiment is perfect for this photo! I know your friend just loved this canvas!

Beverly Montez said...

What a GREAT page!! A lot of work went into it and it sure turned out well!!
XO

Lisa Elton said...

Good gravy girl this is outstanding!! I love the story behind your friendship and the film strips were THE perfect item for this. Another beauty Sue!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is gorgeous! LOVING the flowers and those film strips!!!!

Jill Norwood said...

Gorgeous photo of 3 sweet friends! Great idea to see all the movies! How fun! And this GORGEOUS canvas is such a lovely gift and keepsake! Love the details and how you used the Washi tape! So beautiful!!

Sasha said...

Such a gorgeous canvas of three very pretty ladies!
I love your film strips, which are so appropriate for your movie theme, Sue. Love your stencilled roses and the fabric ones which coordinate beautifully with your dresses x

Brenda said...

What a beautiful and thoughful gift Sue!

Inkyfingers said...

Oh wow, this is gorgeous and I bet your friend was thrilled with it Sue. Thanks for all the details on how you created the canvas - so interesting.

Heather Landry said...

What a beautiful page!!! I love the color scheme and the fabulous film strips. You did an amazing job with this layout!

Heather Rogers said...

What a beautiful canvas! I love the blue stenciled rose. :)

scrappingnana said...

A gorgeous work of he'art'. Love the film strips and stenciled roses. Glad you were able to fix your booboo, and I agreet it looks better that way. TFS

Vickie Z said...

Gorgeous Sue!! Love the colors and yes, perfect complimentary clothing!!! Film strips are perfect!!

Maria said...

Just gorgeous! Full of pretty blue color highlight lovely ladies! Love all the details! I'm sure your friend, Lisa, will treasure it! Take care, hugs!

Monika/Buzsy said...

What a pretty canvas Sue. Love the text background, the filmstrip images... very clever to use the washi for the background piece!

Cheryl said...

This is gorgeous, Sue! I love the roses stenciled right over the edge of the photo, and the filmstrips were such a great accent, especially given how you all met! I'm sure Lisa loved it!

AppleApricot Wen said...

Great and beautiful canvas, a precious gift! Love the photo of the three of you :)

hugs

Ros Crawford said...

Oh WOW!!! This is one terrific page ... I adore everything about this ... and you gals look so glamourous!!

Nancy said...

Not sure which is prettier the canvas or the 3 people in the photo! Lovely on all counts!!!

~Tammy~ said...

Sue, this is fab! You know you really have showcased this set so well!

Glamour Girls!

1CardCreator said...

I'm sure she loved it, it is gorgeous! Love that film strip stamp on vellum and the fiber paste flowers are stunning too, what a fabulous piece! ~Diane