Thursday, July 25, 2013

A Mixed Media Color Challenge #4 - Kiss From a Rose

It's Challenge #4 here at A Mixed Media Color Challenge where we will be playing with the colors red, brown, and neutral!
 

I have to say that I am in LOVE with the MPD Rose Builder Stencil!   When I saw these colors, I KNEW exactly what I wanted to make in my mixed media art journal using my new stencil.  Here is what I came up with:
I hope you like it!


I am a HUGE fan of Seal's song ~ Kiss from a Rose ~ so that is what I sang to myself as I created this page.  Do you see my music washi tape?

I also added this music dot banner with twine and I distressed and mod podged it down.

Here you can see the GORGEOUS red rose I made with fiber paste and red acrylic paint.
I also used brown fiber paste for the stem and plain fiber paste for the MPD graduated diamonds which I brushed some paint over so you could see them.  (Not sure why some of my brown dots look a little green in this photo?)

I had extra red fiber paste so I decided to stencil red roses on a burlap album I purchased at Hobby Lobby to store all of my stamps and die cuts and stencils designed by Mona. 

I added this big rub on of the word INSPIRE because Mona inspired me to play with Mixed Media in the first place!  (I adhered it to the burlap with mod podge.)

I thought the photo of us from when she visited me in Florida would be perfect for the front cover.


This photo shows you how BEAUTIFUL the rose stencil and the leaf are and how the rough texture works so well on the burlap.  Much better than plain paint!

Here is a photo of what's inside this burlap album:
 (Since I can't figure out how to rotate this photo, please turn your head to the right!  LOL!)
My plan is to store ALL of my MPD stamps, dies, and stencils in one FAB album!

Here are some pics of my process:
Mixing fiber paste with red acrylic

Background covered in tissue pieces with cheese cloth in the center for my rose

Close up of the FAB texture created by cheese cloth (Home Depot paint department - 4 square yards for $3.98!)

MPD graduated diamond stencil with light fiber paste

MPD graduated dot stencil with brown paint (see - all of the dots are brown here!!!)

Rose image left on paper when I cleaned my MPD rose builder stencil with a baby wipe (to be cut out and used on a future creation!)

I also used up my left over red fiber paste by adding roses to some gelli art papers I had made previously (also another future creation!)
 
Check out what Mona created, too!
We hope you are inspired to come play with us!


Posted by Picasa

28 comments:

Pauline said...

Fabulous art page Sue, it must be very satisfying to creat with these pastes and paints and have the final results in a book to look at. I am missing my crafting sooo much, when I get my craft room sorted out, I am going to get some paints and have a go at this challenge!
Love your album of stencils and dies, it the perfect fit!

Mona Pendleton said...

Wow Sue! What beautiful projects! Love your art journal page with all the texture and the cute banner! My favorite of course is that canvas with you and I on it :) Love all your beautifully stenciled / textured roses! Thanks for all the inspiration you share with us all! Thanks for sharing your creative process!

Katie Berberich Handmade said...

I also love that song! What a beautiful album and the photo of you and Mona is so cute.
I love your process pics and the texture is stunning. You are so versatile.
Have a great weekend.
Katie x

Marybeth said...

What a beautiful mixed media page. I love seing the how to steps. I bought the paste just need to use it now. The canvas is also very pretty such a a cute way to store your stencils ,with the picture of you and Mona on the cover. I would have to hear the song to know what it is....I never know the song or book by name,lol.
Hope everyone is well.

Marybeth said...

What a beautiful mixed media page. I love seing the how to steps. I bought the paste just need to use it now. The canvas is also very pretty such a a cute way to store your stencils ,with the picture of you and Mona on the cover. I would have to hear the song to know what it is....I never know the song or book by name,lol.
Hope everyone is well.

Desire Fourie said...

Awesome project Sue. Love the art journal cover with the little banner of music circles at the top and the stamped roses on your album is gorgeous.
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Sasha said...

Your projects look fabulous, Sue. So much lovely texture! Such a lovely journal page and I love your canvas with the picture of you and Mona. Your stencilled roses look beautiful xx

MackieMade Paper Creations said...

E erything is so amazing, Sue! Love the bright red roses! Thanks for the tip about the cheesecloth ! And what a great idea for the album! I just love that photo! It is a great picture of you both!

Lisa Elton said...

GASP!!! What a a pretty rose you created Sue!! I LOVE the little circle banners on this and the music washi is something I need to get!! Great idea for your storage album too. Very well thought out and executed. Love the picture of you two!!

Ros Crawford said...

OMG these are stunning >>> I love that album and your journal page is amazing ... love the song too!

Melody said...

I love this color combination! Your journal page is amazing and I love all the extra tips and photos. I hadn't thought to use the molding paste on burlap. I just love the way it looks. I will try that.

1CardCreator said...

Wow, these are gorgeous, the washi tape is a great idea like this too and I love the album cover also! Love the texture paste with the beautiful colors. That fiber paste looks like a lot of fun to work with! ~Diane

Nancy said...

Sue...This is an incredible post between the cover of your journal and your placemats....I love them both! That rose came out great and clean on the burlap!...Hope to find some time to play when I return from a family vacation! Hope everyone is doing well!

Ella Swan said...

Gorgeous creations Sue! Genius file idea!! (binders you call them there I think~!) Love your process photos...

Heather Rogers said...

Great journal page! Thanks for the great step by step directions. The burlap canvas is stunning. :)

Beverly Montez said...

You did a beautiful job on that burlap!! Such a gorgeous red!!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Lovely page! Love the way you used the rose stencil!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wow wow wow!! These are GORGEOUS!! I loveeeeeeeeeeee those flowers!!!!

Sarn said...

WOW - amazing! Thanks for sharing the process xxx

Sleepy Stamper said...

Oh my goodness I used to play that song over and over and over LOl! Beautiful projects. What a great idea on how to store those special stamps.
Hugs,
Anitra

Silke Ledlow said...

Totally fabulous journal Sue! You and Mona a so pretty too :)...great picture!!! You all just blow me away with your creativity!!! Hugs ~S~

AppleApricot Wen said...

Wow Sue!!! LOVE this!! Love how you textures and layered and stamped. And love the red and brown combo. The music circles banner with twine is such a great idea, I might copy that one day if you don't mind?
I'm so going to pin this one...
And great ways of using up the leftovers too. I should do that more often. Just keep forgetting about it. Too much focussed on what I'm working on at that moment, lol.
Big hug, Wendy

Unknown said...

Your page looks amazing.. I just love all the wonderful texture and thanks for showing us your steps on how this was created..

Hugs~

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Your work is beautiful!!! I love the texture and the elegant feel! :D

Maria said...

Gorgeous journal page! Oh, how I love that rose! Thank you for showing us your creative steps! And, the beautiful canvas of you and Mona is just awesome!

Cheryl said...

I love that all your mixed media pieces have special meaning for you! And this journal page is gorgeous! I love the little details, like the music dot banner and washi tape, and that rose is beautiful! Your burlap album is so pretty with the elegant roses...not to mention those two beautiful women on the cover! ;) I hope you and hubby are recovering well from your surgeries and that your dad is on the mend! ~Hugs!

Colleen Dietrich said...

I love that song too!! You have created some beautiful roses. I love looking at your Wall of Fame along the sidebar, Sur. hope we can meet one day and our pic would be there.

Jill Norwood said...

Love your entire post! What a great idea to make the album to store the stencils etc. in! And I love the rose you created! Such wonderful layers and sweet musical details! I love Seal! :)