Sunday, April 10, 2011

DeNami April Blog Hop - Monochromatic!


If you are following the DeNami blog hop, you arrived here from Ayana Posadas.   If you are just joining the blog hop, go to the DeNami site and start leaving comments from the beginning!  Did I say PRIZES!?!?!  Three $20 gift certificates for DeNami products are up for grabs!  Check out the deets at DeNami Designs!

This card is for my Dad's 81st Birthday so I used the manly monochromatic shades of brown!  I hope you like it!  I know he will!  The balsawood will bring back memories for him from my childhood days ~ I will put it at the end of my post for those of you who care to read all about it!!!

For the background on the top half of the card I used DeNami's N134 Teeny Heart Background. 
Trust me ~ this stamp isn't just for Valentine's Day!  For the bottom half I use a swiss dots embossing folder.  I zig zag stitched it all together and put chocolate dyed seam binding (thanks Andrea!) across the center to separate the two sections.  I used red bologna tape (isn't that expression funny?!) and just scrunched and stuck as I went.  Then I used a die to cut out the balsawood label I used for my background. (Thanks Dawn McVey for the inspiration!)  The balsa wood already has a pronounced grain to it but I added a tea dye around the edges to give it some definition.  I used another of my FAV DeNami stamps for the big brown heart.  It's called P88 Love Script Heart.  I stamped it with cream ink, embossed it with clear embossing powder and then for a fun detail, I scallop punched it so it's slightly smalled than the entire stamp (due to the fact that I used the largest scalloped heart punch I own!  THEN I punched the center out with a smaller scalloped heart punch!  I popped this smaller scalloped heart out!

In this close-up you can see the detailed grain and distressed edges of the balsa wood
and the popped center heart.
Here is a close-up of this FAB SEI flower I bought LAST YEAR and was saving!  Note to self ~ no more saving!    The flower is a tribute to my Dad's gardening skills!  You can also see the sentiment I used from this DeNami petit four set, PF42 Love Sentiments stamp set.  I LOVE this stamp set!

The blog hop continues with Pat Quinet!  Hop on over and leave her some LOVE!  Don't forget to leave ME a comment for a chance to win those PRIZES!

Balsawood story.  My brother loved playing with matches when we were little kids and he used to light balsawood airplanes on fire and fly them across the living room when my parents were gone!  He was older and said he would beat me up if I ever told on him!  It's a wonder he didn't burn the house down!  It's also a wonder either of us lived to tell this story!!

65 comments:

Andrea M said...

WOW Sue!!! This is so AMAZING!!! I LOVE the balsa wood - it looks FANTASTIC!!! Also love what you've done with the fabulous heart stamp - the layering looks AWESOME!!! You can feel the love coming from this card!!! What a fabby monochromatic masterpiece I'm sure you're Dad will adore!

Pat Quinet said...

I am so glad to see how you used the heart background stamp. I'm sure you Dad will love this one.

Diane Burns said...

When I read monochromatic browns, I was like ok, but this card is BEAUTIFUL! It really looks warm and fuzzy. The brown hearts look like felt! All the little details work wonderfully together and I know your dad will love this card! The chocolate seam binding scrunched behind is to die for. Never heard of red bologna tape, but I new immediately what you were referring to! :)

Marge said...

Sue, this is amazing! I love all the textural elements you've combined here! I keep forgetting to look for the Balsa wood when I'm in Michaels -- LOVE what you did with it and sure your Father will too!!!

Paulina said...

Oh my, Sue, this card is great! You can tell so much love went into this beauty- your dad is going to treasure this forever! I LOVE the balsawood addition you added; may have to pick some of this up myself! :)

Jessica Kessler said...

Oh my goodness...this card is amazing! I wish I had it in front of me, so I could touch it and look at each individual part. I am amazed. Great job!

Unknown said...

Gorgoues card! Your choice of brown was perfect, and your dad is going to love it. ;)

Carol said...

Incredible! Love everything you incorporated into this card! It's amazing! Thank you for sharing!

Tina said...

I saw your card as soon as I opened my reader and thought "how pretty is that"! I know your dad will love it!

Kim said...

Very pretty card. I love all the texture and details.

Diana said...

That flower is so cool! And I love the way you put the sentiment in the center. The balsa wood looks so nice with this design.

Ruby said...

Now being a total chocoholic why didn't I think to use those colours for my monocromatic card lol. Love your card, your Dad will love it, great use of balsa wood too, I've not tried that!! I love the little tag with the sentiment too, really pretty!

Karen said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this card. All the elements work so well together and I agree, he is going to love the card. Great job!

Amy Schumacher said...

This is sooooo pretty! All the details and layers are beautiful!

Colleen Dietrich said...

Hi Sue! I used that same large script heart and I LOVE your take on using it! It looks like a scrumptious piece of chocolate. Yum!

Cyndi S said...

Your card is so pretty. I love the stitching. Do you use your regular sewing machine for your cards? I have never tried stitching on my cards.
cstephenson at q dot com

Julie Ranae said...

Sue...such beautiful textures added to the brown monochromatic colors! Beautiful!

Jo Muscutt said...

Beautiful! So much fabulous detail!

Heidi said...

There is so much exquisite detail in this card - I love it! And your stitching - what a nice touch.

Karen McAlpine said...

Your Dad will love this card. I love how you layerd the hearts. Great way to use this stamp. PS: there is nothing like big brothers.

Annette Holleger said...

This is certainly an extra special card for someone extra special. All the fabulous details are amazing. You've done a fabulous job. Thank you so much for sharing your work.

Emily Keaton said...

What a LOVELY monochromatic birthday card for your Dad, Sue!! I'm sure he'll be tickled pink to receive such a handmade beauty from his daughter. That lacy flower is the perfect tribute to his love of gardening. :)

Mona Pendleton said...

So pretty Sue! Love the Chocolate heart and balsa wood label! Surely your Dad will treasure this handmade gem :)

Tenia Nelson said...

So so so pretty!!! tfs!!

rhogan18 said...

Pretty card. Lots of attention to detail.

Colorado Crafter said...

What a beautiful card!!! TFS!!

Darla said...

Blow me away, this card is very lovely to look at and yes, I want to touch it too! GREAT use of textures, absolutely LOVE it!

~Tammy~ said...

This is one fabby card!

Janet said...

You used so many techniques....you are very talented and I love the card. Nothing is to good for our dads !!

Andrea Ewen said...

Oh my, Sue this is absolutely dreamy! Lovin' those earth tones and the fabulous stitching! Your card is just loaded with gorgeousness, so glad I stopped here...thanks for sharing with us!

Lynn Reloza said...

Love the color combo and all the textures. Great card. Thanks for sharing.

Stacie said...

Very nice!

Pam said...

Love the colors and textures! Great card.

neddgirl said...

Awesome...

Rebecca
brrck@yahoo.com

Lin said...

Another amazing brown card!! I loved everything about this card! the plethora of hearts, the dots, the balsa wood, oh my!

imaginethat said...

Ooooh, very nice. I am hopping along and find it sort of amazing that everyone is picking either blues or browns....great minds must think alike!

farmhouse-story said...

happy bday to your dad, sue! he will just LOVE this sweet card!

Hedgehog Reader said...

What a beautiful card - and your attention to detail is amazing. Happy Birthday to your dad! :o)

Kristy Smith said...

Wow I love this card! The browns are just gorgeous and your colors are so soft and perfectly blended! =) Thanks for sharing such a fantastic card!

Michele Gross said...

Such a yummy card! Love the wood embellishment! Its got a GREAT story, special meaning and I'm sure your dad will relish that :)

Libby Hickson said...

Love this! So many great details - I especially love how you layered the message on the hearts, very cool!

Crafty Math Chick said...

LOVE the balsawood accent (I thought it was wrapped in twine at first look) - perfect for your Pop, Thank you for sharing this lovely story with us. I hope he has a wonderful birthday and loves this card, I know I do. :)

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Awesome creation, love the yummy details!

Cassandra said...

There is something classic and elegant about chocolate and cream, love it. Will have to look more closely at De Nami, haven't really figured in my stamp purchases yet. But in your hands they are wonderful.

Unknown said...

Your dad is going to treasure this! It is "manly gorgeous"! Love the balsa wood, I'll have to hunt some of that stuff down! Love your fun post... bologna tape cracked me up!

Karen B. said...

Love your textures here in this dreamy card!

Lisa Petrella said...

LOVIN' all of those FABULOUS layers!!! And such a special touch to add the wood panel---really personalizes the card!! Thanks for sharing your story!

Lisa R. said...

Wow what a g reat card. Love the brown scheme. Balsa wood super! Thanks for sharing. joy4umetoo at hotmail dot com

Laurie said...

Sue this is so pretty! I just love that heart!

Mary Maruscak said...

This is so pretty! All your layers really pull together! Great job!

Pauline said...

Sue, this is a fabulous card, it reminds me of a big bar of chocolate for some reason!!

Your story made me laugh, it's a wonder any of us made it to adulthood lol! I bet your brother doesn't remember that particular tale! xx

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Never would have thought to use balsa wood on a card! Beautiful!

Dana said...

Such a clever card! I love the LO and all the tiny details...thank goodness you and your brother lived to laugh about your antics!

Kimba's Kreations said...

I love the layers and all the deatails!

Tambo said...

This card is fabulous. You did a great job!

Unknown said...

Sue your card takes my breath away!

Kimberly said...

What a fantastic card! I love what you did. Thanks for sharing!

Nicki S said...

This card is just so beautiful! Every detail is exquisite! I love every card you make with the Love Script Heart....just breathtaking!

Thanks for your wonderfully sweet comment on my blog hop card! Yes, you may CASE it...I am so honored you want to! I would just appreciate credit and a link back to my blog if you post it on yours ;-)

Sheryl said...

Really love that white on brown! Those teeny brown hearts are so sweet.

Bonnie said...

Have always loved brown and white. Awesome card.

Shirley said...

Love the layering and the shapes!

chubmoma said...

Just love your card! So perfect for a man's birthday!

Kathy Hillis said...

Love the different shades of brown. Very pretty card!!

Katie Berberich Handmade said...

Wow that is just stunning Sue, so many beautiful elements. The colours are just lovely and I'm sure he'll love it! I wish I still had my Dad to create for.
Totally gorgeous, well done girl :)
Katie x

Stella said...

Sue you are able to create magic. Your dad wil love this and so do I :) I don't use a lot of brown but you did a fabulous job with it. Gorgeous card; I can see why they made you a GD! :)