Saturday, September 25, 2010

Papertrey's September Blog Hop Challenge - Inspiration!

The theme for this month's PTI Blog Hop is to create a card using one of your favorite learned skills from someone in blogland. Honestly I have learned so MUCH from friends I have made along the way but I want to spotlight the technique that changed my card making around. That would be the tissue paper flower tutorial from Mona Pendleton which you can view here. Until I watched that video, I was pretty much a go by the "rule book" card maker and never stepped outside of the box. This video changed my world and now you will hardly see a card made by me that doesn't have some type of flower on it!


This is a close up of a tissue paper flower I cut out using my Nestabilities blossom die along with a metal "Thanks" tag. I used pink and aqua because I know Mona loves those colors. I even opened the bag of my Martha Stewart labels and used one for the first time as a background! Yes, I was saving them for something special and this was it! If you look closely, you will see that I used my PTI Damask Impression plate on the aqua.

Here's the finished card. I embossed the PTI Raspberry Fizz paper with my Cuttlebug Damask embossing folder for texture and framed it with a wide velvet ribbon on the bottom and a piece of cording on the top. The text paper is from PTI's Raspberry Fizz Mix. The leaves were die cut with a Sizzix leaf die and that FABULOUS felt is PTI's Chartreuse felt. I LOVE this felt so much because of the quality! I also took a SU marker and drew a vein in each leaf to make it look more dimensional.

So thank you Mona for so many things - for help on purchasing a light tent so I can take wonderful pics of my cards; for answering all of my email questions about blogging when I was first starting out; for teaching me how to link my cards and what that green bug looking thing was!!; for explaining what it meant to follow someone - LOL!; and for always being so supportive with your comments.

Honestly the BEST thing about this hobby is the wonderful people you meet along the way! HUGS to all my blog friends!!!



Posted by Picasa

51 comments:

Lynn said...

Sue, gorgeous card! You need to pass on your tips on your light tent! I have one we made, but am not happy with it!! Have fun blog hopping!

Marge said...

Ohhh, Sue, this is FABULOUS!!! I love those "veined" chartreuse leaves, that awesome flower, that perfect "friends" text paper on the top & all your sweet details!!! I'm sooo glad you finally used a MS tag! I have to thank both you & Mona for your help with a light tent. It makes all the difference in the world. Tthanks to you two, I "see the light"! Blogging friends are the BEST!!! BTW -- what's the "green bug-looking thing"?!!!

ellepaulette said...

This is such a lovely card! TFS!!

Michele Gross said...

Just gorgeous!! I love the pretty colors and the felt adds such wonderful texture! Awesome card!!

Aimes said...

Great card! Such fab and funky colours and the felt leaves are gorgeous!
Hugs,
Aimes
x

Mona Pendleton said...

STUNNING card Sue! You really worked magic with those beautiful, bright colors & your flower looks GORGEOUS! Thank you so much my sweet friend for mentioning me & sharing all of your "Card Therapy" with me :)

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL!
And goodness...I could almost give up this craft just to keep the wonderful friends I have made because of it! Not only are we inspired daily by eachother but the real friendships (who cares if they are online!) are worth so much!
=o)
I LOVE the card! It is VERY beautiful!
Hugs, Leah

Traveling Mama said...

This is SOO pretty! I love your beautiful design! Hugs!

Rhonda said...

Just a wonderful card! You need to share the light box tips!

Leora said...

Beautiful card!

Sue Ann said...

OH MY GOODNESS ...... those felt leaves are making me feel all gooey inside they are so FAB!!! Great layout and colors too .......... love it!!!

Heather Rogers said...

This is so pretty from the embossed cardstock to the flelt leaves and pretty tissue flower. I do Love Mona's tissue flowers.
Hugs to you sweetie
Heather
xxx

Karen C said...

What a wonderfully beautiful card!

Kay D said...

Gorgeous- I love those leaves and your color combo!

Cathy Weber said...

This is a gorgeous card. The tissue paper flower is stunning and I really love that leaf cut from felt. I have to look for that die! Great job on this blog hop.

Kelly S. said...

Oh your flower turned out lovely, so elegant and girly!! Great colors and layout, too!

Cristina said...

Great card, and I love your words of gratitude. So sweet.

Andrea M said...

GORGEOUS card Sue!!! What a great use of those wonderful colors!!! Wow just a jaw-dropper all the way :)

Melissa said...

Very pretty! Love those colors!

Nerina said...

What a beautiful card - and such a fabulous tribute to Mona too! I love the flower that you made - and your reasons for combining these gorgeous colours together - what a fantastic post this is!

klarcher said...

That tissue flower is precious and the colors are wonderful

peggysue said...

So pretty! Mona's work is inspiring, isn't it? And i like the colors too.

Jen Carter said...

This is so pretty! I love the colors you chose!

Kara said...

i'm in love with that little meatl heart!

Kristii said...

Absolutely wonderful!! Love the color combo, the leaves of felt, and the tissue paper flower is fantastic!!! I love it all!!!

Janelle said...

{Gasp!} Your card is gorgeous... the colors, the flower... gorgeous!

Mary Marsh said...

this is such a beautiful card-I love the felt leaves-you mentioned a light box-do you have any tips??

Cassie_lu said...

beautiful card and I like the pink along the edges of the flower

Ravengirl said...

So cute! Love that tissue paper flower!

Laura Isham said...

love, love, love your card! the flower is perfection and the doily behind it is just the right touch.

jen said...

this is so lovely!!! I love the different embossed backgrounds, your flower is great, and that pretty sheer ribbon with the charm is icing on the cake!

Keva said...

Oh this is beautiful!!! Love the colors and layout.

Gayatri said...

Beautiful card! bright and cheerful colors and that flower is soft and pretty :)

Amy Kolling said...

Gorgeous card....love the fun bright color you used. Love your flower matted on that doily!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Such beautiful card Sue! Lovely and congrats!

Vanessa said...

So beautiful! Congrats on your win!!! Enjoy your new stamps! Vanessa x

Ruby said...

This is absolutely GORGEOUS Sue!! LOVE everything about it! Please do tell about the light tent you're using. I really need to sort my pictures out, they're terrible! Well done on your win, you totally deserve it!

tfiskers said...

Congrats!!! Your card is beautiful!

Ohhh Snap said...

Beautiful card and congratulations on winning a stamp set! I'm a bit behind in my reading :D. TFS!

Jenny said...

Wow such a beautiful card. Love all your elements. A deserved winner alright!!

Adirondack Annie said...

What a GORGEOUS card!!! Love, Love, Love the color combo! The multiple textures bring this piece of art "off the chain" as my Daughter would say!!!
Thank you so much for sharing your amazing talent w/ us!

Ginny said...

This is just beautiful!! Love the colors and the felt leaves are just amazing!

Jessica said...

Beutiful card! Love the chartreuse felt leaves! It brings out the card! Thanks for stopping by my blog! ;)

Terri said...

Very nice. Love the blossom die cut. Congrats on winning a stamp set too!

Tigriswillreign said...

This is so stunningly gorgeous! Congratulations!

Cassandra said...

Absolutely stunning card leading to well deserved recognition. You blog is an absolute delight to look at, especially colour-wise.

Katie Berberich Handmade said...

Wow this is totally stunning! Those colours are fantastic together. This has such a pretty, elegant feel...GORGEOUS!
Katie x

Taheerah said...

Ooh this is gorgeous! Love that flower and the colours you used!

Ruby said...

Hi again Sue! You were asking whether I had used a brad on my card for Julie. If you mean the black and white polka dot, yes it's one from Bazzill Basics :o)

Jeanne said...

What a wonderful card full of bright colors and textures. Love the dimension added with the flower and brad. Great project!

Shirl said...

This is absolutely gorgeous Sue, I really {heart} your tissue flower!